Dear Ordeal Candidate:
Congratulations on having been selected for membership in the Order of the Arrow, Scouting's National Honor Society. Your fellow Scouts have thought enough of you to elect you to this honor. Now, the next step is up to you.
The purposes of the Order of the Arrow, and the fact that it is an honor to which you were selected, imposes on our Lodge the responsibility of making sure that your initial contact with us is serious and impressive. To become a member of our Order, you must participate in the Ordeal Ceremony. This 24-hour ceremony will be a unique experience in your life - one that will remain in your memory for many years. You will have multiple opportunities to participate in the Ordeal Ceremony. If you do not attend any one of them, your election will be void and you would need to be re-elected another year.
Out-of-Council Summer Call Outs
Call-Out ceremonies are conducted by Bigfoot Lodge during summer camp at Ed Bryant Scout Reservation. Should your unit attend an out-of-council summer camp and would like your members to participate in that camp’s Call-Out Ceremony, please do the following:
3 weeks prior to camp, contact the Lodge Adviser with the following information: your troop #, name of council camp you are attending, mailing address of council and email of council and/or summer camp, and the dates of your session. A letter will be sent to that council by the Scout Executive and Lodge Adviser. This letter will include the names of the candidates based on Bigfoot Lodge’s elections results.
The Ordeal ceremony will be held in conjunction with our Lodge's Spring or Fall Conference. The details for the conference are:
- Eat a good supper before you arrive at camp on Friday evening.
- Plan to arrive between 6:30 and 8:00 p.m. PLEASE DO NOT BE LATE as it delays the program and ceremonies.
- You must be present for the entire weekend. The conference is over after orientation on Sunday.
- If someone will be picking you up on Sunday, have them arrive at camp between 10:30 and 11:00 a.m. Please make sure they know where to meet you.
- Do not wear your uniform to camp on Friday evening, but bring it along in your pack for use on Saturday evening and Sunday.
- Friday evening you will need your sleeping bag, ground cloth, gloves, work or hiking boots, coat or jacket, hat, flashlight, insect repellent and rain gear. Saturday evening, in addition to your uniform, you will need a tent unless you will be sharing one with a friend. You are welcome to bring any other camping gear you may desire for Saturday evening; all of your meals will be provided. Click here for the gear list.
- The reason you should not wear your uniform on Friday evening is that as a part of every conference, the Order of the Arrow provides one or more service projects for camp. Work clothes used early in the weekend save wear and tear on your uniform until you need it on Saturday evening.
- All registration is online. In addition to the usual information, the registration site will also ask for: your doctor's name, phone number and emergency contact phone numbers where someone can be reached during the weekend if there is an emergency.
To register for the Spring Conference go here.
To register for the Fall Conference go here.
To register for the Summer Camp ceremonies at EBSR go here.
- When you arrive at camp, go first to the Peter Rice Building (Camp Office at EBSR) or to Allen Hall (at CIT) to check in. It is important that you go no further into camp until your check-in is completed.
- Cost: $50.00 per candidate for either the spring or fall conference. This includes meals, conference and flap patches, your sash and handbook and lodge dues until the end of your Ordeal year. (Annual dues are $12.00.) For summer camp ceremonies the cost is $40.00 per candidate if you are attending EBSR summer camp with your troop; the cost is $50.00 per candidate if you come up for just the ceremony (Wednesday evening through 11:00 p.m. Thursday evening or Friday morning).
The Trading Post will be open at camp and it has some OA items so you definitely want some extra cash.
All of the members of our Lodge are anxious to greet you as a brother. We will do all in our power to make this a rewarding and memorable experience. You should prepare by arriving on time, bringing the items suggested on page one and realizing that this will be a serious and thoughtful weekend for you.